Way back in November, I started a post about a big night I had. I never published it because I couldn't get out what I needed to say without sounding overly gushy, starstruck and lame. I still don't think I can do it. Here's a bulleted list of how the events unfolded. It's hard to be gushy in a bulleted list.
- College roommate/good friend called me and said she had an extra ticket for the premier of a Colin Firth movie in New York.
- I packed my bags and drove to Philadelphia, by myself.
- We drove to NYC and checked into a hotel.
- Taxi dropped us off at the Ziegfeld Theater for the premiere.
- I accidentally walked in front of Colin Firth's limo, resulting in being yelled at by a paparazzi and a security guard.
- We got our seats in the theater (which were in the main area and NOT on the balcony, where the riff raff sat)
- Decided to run to the lobby for a quick pee break.
- Inadvertently ran into Colin Firth and his wife Livia in the lobby. Did I mention that our tickets came directly from Colin's wife? She is friends with my friend's uncle.
- They stopped talking to the adoring fans and HAD A CONVERSATION with us. I babbled and fidgeted and I think I said "thank you" ten times. Particularly in cases where the phrase "thank you" had no place.
- Colin introduced us to his friend, Helena Bonham Carter. HELENA BONHAM CARTER.
- Shit was real.
- They asked us if we were going to the after party. We were invited to the after party.
- Watched movie. Standing ovation. Amazing.
- Caught a cab to Royalton Hotel lounge called 44 Lounge
- Tons of people were begging bouncers to let them into the party, but it was invite only. We were invited.
- Beautiful people, beautiful food, abundant alcohol everywhere.
- The people we recognized (besides the stars of the movie) were Christine Baranski, Valentino, and Moby. Very random.
- Drank and people-watched for a couple hours.
- As Colin and his wife left the party, surrounded by a throng of people, they came over TO US and thanked us for coming and said goodbye. My friend talked to Livia about her uncle while I had an awkward conversation with Colin Firth, in which he touched my back. My friend got her picture taken with them but I froze up and didn't ask. Ah, well.
- The end.
- I hope I managed to give you an unbiased account of the night. Sorry for some all-caps. I'd be really embarrassed if Colin read this, but I'm pretty sure he's not subscribing to my blog. Maybe he's lurking.
Anyway, the reason that I chose this moment to finally come clean about the fact that I
am in fact best friends with a Hollywood A-Listermet Colin Firth and Helena Bonham Carter is because he just won the Golden Globe for best Actor! Oscars are next . . .
If you haven't seen the movie, go see it!