Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Snow Day!

I can't help it, I still get excited about snow storms. I hate winter, I get seasonal depression, and the lack of sunlight can drive me crazy, but if I hear that they are predicting a snow storm, I check the radar every hour and get more excited about each inch that piles up.

They have been predicting a "storm" of 3"- 6", which is not a very big deal here in the northeast. For some reason though, news reporters always hype it up to be apocalyptic. Most people here will mock the weathermen and act like a few inches of snow is no big thing, but I have to admit that I'm one of "those people" who freak out about driving in an inch of snow. I get it from my momma. She won't leave the house if there are flurries predicted.

Anyway, we DID get our storm, and there's about four (additional) inches out there so far. It's supposed to snow on and off all night and day tomorrow as well. I put on my big girl pants and went out to shovel the driveway around 4:00 and my neighbors asked if I wanted to take a walk into the woods with them and their dog. (Sounds creepy huh? Don't worry, we're good friends with them ha.) They also volunteered to take another neighbor's dogs with them, who happen to be two 7 month old puppies. These "puppies" weigh around 200lb and 120lb each. YEAH. So it was the three of us, a beagle, a Labradoodle, and two Mastiff/St.Bernard/Rottweiler mixes. Insanity. We walked through the woods on a trail they like to take and let me tell you, these two are much more athletic than I am. We live on a mountain (okay . . . huge hill) and this path went straight up for about 100 yards. I. Almost. Died.

But it was great that I went because I ended up skipping the gym today due to work overload and icy conditions.  It was really beautiful in the woods and once you got to the top of the hill, the view was gorgeous. It had just started to get dark by the time we made it to the top, so everything was all snow covered and blue and glowy. And I didn't get a picture of it haha. Here are some terribly blurry cell phone pics of the pups, though.

Poor Wilbur can't run free like the big dogs. Because of their strong prey drive, it's almost impossible to train beagles to be off leash. 
The "puppies" wrestling. Have you ever been jumped by a 200 lb baby? I have. 
Wilbur was a trooper and held his own with the big dogs. Even if he was wearing a puffy coat with a faux fur collar. The didn't even make fun of him. 

Now I need a hot bath because my legs feel like icicles. Carry on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment