Monday, July 11, 2011

This is not part of the diet

So you know I've been on sort of a permanent diet for the past 7 (!) months. Actually I've been kind of falling off the wagon lately (ah hem, half a large pizza and DQ ice cream from last night, I'm looking at you . . .) but I WILL get back on soon. We've just been traveling so much lately (hence the lack of blog updates) that it's been hard to get back into the healthy living mindset. Especially when you go somewhere like Ocean City, MD, where every restaurant is either an all-you-can-eat buffet or a place that specializes in deep friend butter. I know, excuses, excuses.

When I get cravings, they are most often for sweets, which can be really dangerous for me. However, I have discovered that if I make/cook/bake the thing myself, just the process of making it will get rid of most of the craving, and I don't end up eating very much of it. So, yeah.

This weekend, my friend was having a bunch of us over for a cookout celebrating the fact that she just got a great job with one of Pittsburgh's pro sports teams. She is also a lover of all things sugary, so I decided to go all out and make something ridiculous to eat for the cookout.

Enter cake pops! Pittsburgh black and yellow cake pops!

I know I'm the last person to jump on the cake pop train, but I'm slow at this stuff. By the time I catch onto trends, it's usually best to just skip it and wait for the next one. The fact that Target now makes knock off Toms makes me think that its too late in the game for me to start wearing them and still be considered trendy. Moving on . . .

Anyway, I found some great tutorials all over the internet but obviously the best is the cake pop inventor herself, Bakerella. So here's my rendition.

Ingredients:
(A) Cake mix (plus all the ingredients to make it)
      Can of frosting
      2 bags of meltable candy or chocolate
      Lollipop sticks
      Styrofoam
      Sprinkles
      (these last four can be found at craft stores, I got  mine at Michaels)

1. Bake your cake according to the instructions, it doesn't matter what kind of pan you use.
2. When the cake is done, scoop it out of the pan and into a bowl. Stir it and mash it up like crazy until it's completely broken up (B).
3. Stir in an entire can of frosting. Mix it thoroughly, creating a chocolatey cakey delicious dough.
4. Chill the dough.
5. When the dough is chilled, roll it into approximately one inch balls, like if you were making cookies (C). Let those chill in the refrigerator for a while.
6. Melt your candy/chocolate. I recommend using something more narrow than a bowl, so that you can still cover the cake pop as your candy supply dwindles. A mug worked perfectly for me.
7. When your balls are chilled (side-eye . . .) take a few out. Dip a lollipop stick in the melted candy, about a half inch, and then stick it into the ball, making sure not to go more than halfway, or you'll risk the ball sliding down the stick (E).
8. Dunk the ball into the melted candy and wiggle it from side to side to coat it (F). Then pull it straight out, turn it on its side and tap it a bit to get off the excess. This is confusing, check out the video below BEFORE you try this because I messed up quite a few before I decided to Google what I was doing wrong (D).
9. Add some sprinkles, and then stick the lollipop into the styrofoam so the cake pop can dry standing up.
10. Take a ridiculous amount of pictures of them.

Watch this video before you try it, Bakerella knows her ish.

These are amazingly good and super rich, which stops you from eating like seven of them. I had some extras which i brought over to Frank's family's dinner and here is what 5 year old Zachary had to say:
"Aunt Em, this is the best lollipop I have ever eated in my entire life. You are really nice and I like you a lot." 
And that's a direct quote. His whole life may only be five years, but he has done some damage in the lollipop department in that time.

They were also a hit at the cookout, where they got all warm and gooey in the sun. My friends, who are connoisseurs  likened them to Little Debbie Zebra Cakes.

Have you ever made cake pops? Do you do what i do and bake things to avoid eating them?

No comments:

Post a Comment